Indoor climbing is growing fast – and so is the Association of British Climbing Walls (ABC). Our Head of Membership Services is a key figure in the association and sits at the heart of our business: leading our relationships with members and ensuring they get a fantastic level of service from us. Over the past two years the ABC has been changing rapidly, kicking off and delivering new projects that help propel the industry and sport forward. Projects like market research, GDPR, a national conference, as well as working with the BMC & other partners to lead activity across the sector. We have a pipeline of national, high profile projects in design and we’ll need your help to support the delivery of these, making a positive impact in the sector.
Therefore, to be successful in this role, you will need to be able to blend excellent membership management skills with the ability to deliver a wide variety of projects, often managing contractors.
About the ABC
The Association of British Climbing Walls (ABC) promotes the professionalism, health and growth of indoor climbing. It is an industry going through major change with new climbing walls opening all the time, and the sport featuring at the Olympics in 2020.
There are currently ca 150 members of the ABC. They are managed by volunteer members of the Management Committee, its sub-committees and a one day a week Chief Executive. We have several project-based staff currently working with the association too.
The post holder will be required to build and maintain commercially successful relationships with members of the ABC from the climbing wall industry and support the association to increase its impact for members.
The postholder will be required to meet, or exceed, targets in relation to:
- Number of walls active as members of the ABC;
- Number of other businesses active as members;
- Member feedback on the quality of the offer provided by the ABC;
- The growth in income provided by new and existing members.
The role is full time, and home-based, though they will be connected to a range of ABC related staff and volunteers on a regular basis. They need to be responsive to member and management committee queries, throughout the week.
ABC Chief Executive
- Continue to enhance the membership offer to climbing wall members of the ABC
- Lead on recruitment of new members
- Lead on member communications through development of the ABC Walls website, newsletters, social media etc. Creating further opportunities for members to network with each other.
- Support the ABC in the design and delivery of an Annual Conference for indoor climbing, each September.
- Support members on topical issues relating to professionalism, growth and health of indoor climbing. For example, drawing insights from the Accident Reporting Database
- Define and launch a membership offer to wider trade partners
- Analyse the potential for further fee-paying services for members (such as consultancy, training and products) and, where appropriate, launch such services
- Manage contractors to deliver a wide range of projects for the ABC
- Support the Membership Committee & Chief Executive of the ABC in the execution of their duties
- Members of the Management Committee
- Climbing wall owners and managers
- Other businesses involved in indoor climbing (e.g. hold manufacturers, wall builders, retailers)
- Staff of the ABC, including contractors, and the ABC Administration Team
- Other key players in the sport such as the ABCTT, BMC, Sport England, MT
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Excellent knowledge of indoor climbing centres, including safety, operations, technical advice. (essential)
- Business development capability in a business-to-business environment with a proven ability to negotiate and influence senior stakeholders
- A great communicator with excellent people and inter-personal skills; relationship management is a vital function of this role
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work as part of a geographically dispersed team, with limited supervision
- Experience of a business start-up environment
- Ability to write board-level reports
- Fluent in desktop IT, ideally with Digital Marketing experience
- Experience of leading complex projects working with a wide range of partners
- Experience of working with volunteers
£25,000 – £30,000 depending on experience + bonus
To apply, applicants should send a CV and a covering letter (no longer than one side of A4) to: Lindsey Jackson, ABC administrator, by email on: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to discuss your application prior to submission, please contact Graham Atkins via email on: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Thursday 5 July 2018.
Interviews will be held in Birmingham (location TBC) on 16 July 2018.