6 Things to know about the upcoming changes to General Data Protection Regulation:
- Even though the UK is leaving the EU, these regulations come into force before the leaving date and will continue to apply afterward.
- The fine for violation of your legal obligation is 4% of your turnover.
- It’s likely that the enforcement body will be funded by the fines they issue – this would mean they have a vested interest in prosecuting businesses for non-compliance, rather than simply investigating complaints.
- You will no longer be able to assume consent has been given because someone did not opt out. Your customers will need to give consent for you to use their data on a regular basis (rather than only once), and must give consent for each of the different ways you use their information.
- You will need to keep records and be able to show you have their consent for each of the different ways you use their information.
- The new regulation requires that you have “expert knowledge of data protection law and practices” relative to the data you hold about your customers and how you use this data.
Our current call for funding gives OUR MEMBERS access to climbing specific professional legal advice on the upcoming changes to General Data Protection Regulation for as little as £500.
Click here to read the Business Case Summary for our call for funding.